Inner peace. It's a seemingly elusive goal that many of us strive for but may feel like we can never quite reach. We may find ourselves running around trying to figure out what we can do to find it, but, in reality, it's often the things that we stop doing that can lead us there faster.
So if you're on the hunt for how to find inner peace, or at the very least, peace of mind, here are a few things I stopped doing that not only helped me reassess my expectations but also allowed me to let go and find some much needed peace within myself.
1. Trying to please everyone - People pleasing was a tough one for me, as I had always put others' needs before my own. But once I realized that it's impossible (and quite frankly, not healthy) to try to make everyone happy, I stopped giving in to the people-pleaser role. This not only relieved me of unnecessary stress and guilt, but it also allowed me to focus on my own well-being.
2. Comparing myself to others - Social media, for example, can be a major source of comparison, as it's easy to compare our lives to the highlight reels of those we follow. But by making a conscious effort to stop comparing myself to others and their accomplishments, I found more gratitude for my own life and what I have.
3. Holding onto grudges - Resentment and anger can weigh us down, especially energetically, but letting go of grudges allowed me to free up mental and emotional space. It also allowed me to focus on the present moment instead of dwelling on past grievances.
4. Overthinking every decision - Instead of getting caught in an endless spiral of overthinking and second-guessing, I started to trust my gut and make decisions based on what felt right for me. This not only helped with decision-making, but also decreased stress and anxiety.
5. Striving for perfection - I used to always want things to go a certain way and would become attached to the outcome, often leading to disappointment and frustration. But perfection is impossible, and striving for it can be a major source of stress and pressure. Letting go of the need to be perfect allowed me to focus on progress rather than trying to achieve some unattainable standard. It doesn't mean giving up on goals and desires, but instead, it's about letting go of any expectations or rigid ideas and allowing things to unfold as they should. This form of surrender has even worked wonders on my ability to manifest my goals and desires.
6. Constantly seeking external validation - External validation can feel good at the moment, but it often comes with a sense of insecurity and dependence on others' approval. Instead, I started to focus on self-validation and trusting my worth and capabilities. Listening to and trusting my intuition has been a major factor in finding inner peace. Sometimes, our intuition can guide us toward what's best for us, so tuning into that voice and paying attention to any gut feelings is important in making decisions and finding peace within ourselves.
7. Dwelling on past mistakes - We all make mistakes, but constantly dwelling on them can prevent us from moving forward and living in the present moment. I made a conscious effort to acknowledge my mistakes, learn from them, and let go of any guilt or negative feelings associated with them. This one can be tough – remember, it's easy for us to be our own worst critics, so try to focus on practicing self-forgiveness and compassion.
8. Surrounding myself with negative people - The people we surround ourselves with can indeed have a major impact on our mood and overall well-being. So, I made sure to cut out any negative influences or toxic relationships and surround myself with positive, uplifting people.
9. Worrying about things out of my control (including the future) - Worrying about situations or events that are out of our control can be a major source of stress. So I learned to focus on what I can control and not dwell on the rest. This doesn't mean avoiding or ignoring problems (and of course, it's important to have goals) - but instead, it's about letting go of worrying about the outcome and trusting that everything will work out as it should.
10. Taking things personally - It can be easy to take things personally, but I learned to let go of being offended by every little thing and instead focus on my actions and reactions. Remember, everyone is on their journey and may have insecurities or issues that play a role in their behavior. But releasing this feeling helps me stay grounded in my truth and not let outside opinions or comments affect my peace and happiness.
11. Settling for less than I deserve - Whether it's in relationships, friendships, or career opportunities, settling for less than what I deserve not only did a disservice to myself but also prevented me from fully showing up and being my authentic self. Saying no to things that don't align with my values and worth has helped me attract more that’s in line with what I truly desire.
Implementing these changes in my life has allowed me to find a greater sense of inner peace and contentment. Of course, it's a continual process, but letting go of these things has made a huge difference for me. Because you see, the limiting beliefs we have about ourselves, the constant seeking for external validation, and settling for less than we deserve – all of these things can hold us back from truly living our best lives and finding inner peace.
By letting go of these things, we open ourselves up to more love, happiness, and fulfillment. This is why I also have a special gift I'd like to share with you. It's access to the Limitless You Meditation Pack. What makes this gift so special is that you can use these immersive meditations to train your subconscious mind to rid you of things like self-doubt, fear, and negativity – all roadblocks on the journey to inner peace. So go here now to get your hands on this special gift and get ready to up-level your mindset and up-level your life.