The constant hustle and bustle of daily life can often mask our ability to see life clearly - as stress becomes one of those things that starts to build up so fast, we don’t even realize it.
Sometimes we can get so used to stress that we forget that freeing ourselves from the chaos is absolutely doable.
So, how does stress affect us exactly? Well, according to WebMD, “Maybe you’re worried, angry, scared, or frustrated. This kind of stress isn’t good for you, and over the long-term can cause serious problems. Maybe it’s your job, a family illness, or money troubles. These are common triggers.”
I think it’s safe to say that most of us have dealt with stress at some point in our lives. And maybe all the time. However, you don’t have to always treat stress as a bad thing, especially when you know how to manage it. :-)
We all have it in us to use empowering tools and relaxing techniques to help us in our personal development for managing stress, anxiety, etc. But sometimes, all we need is a little reminder - a little reassurance that it’s all just mind over matter. That’s why I’m going to share with you some famous quotes you can use in your everyday life for stress management and overcoming those slumps that could be holding you back from living your happiest life and reaching your highest potential.
1. “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” — Marcus Aurelius
2. “One moment of patience may ward off great disaster, one moment of impatience may ruin a whole life.” — Chinese proverb
3. “Happiness is a choice. You can choose to be happy. There's going to be stress in life, but it's your choice whether you let it affect you or not.” — Valerie Bertinelli
4. “Being in control of your life and having realistic expectations about your day-to-day challenges are the keys to stress management, which is perhaps the most important ingredient to living a happy, healthy and rewarding life.” — Marilu Henner
5. “Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.” — Chinese Proverb
6. “If you don’t like something change it; if you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.” — Mary Engelbreit
7. “Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.” — Mother Teresa
8. “You must learn to let go. Release the stress. You were never in control anyway.” — Steve Maraboli
9. “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” — Amit Ray
10. “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” — Confucius
11. “For fast-acting relief, try slowing down.” — Lily Tomlin
12. “If the problem can be solved why worry? If the problem cannot be solved worrying will do you no good.” — Shantideva
13. “The only difference between a rut and a grave are the dimensions.” — Ellen Glasgow
14. “Stress is the trash of modern life-we all generate it but if you don't dispose of it properly, it will pile up and overtake your life.” — Danzae Pace
15. “Stress and anxiety are your mind trying to use logic to meet the expectations of what you think your life should be.” — Shanna Star
16. “Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.” — Hermann Hesse
17. “Sometimes we can focus so much on nothing that we make it a big something of nothing.” — Ricky Maye
18. “Doing something that is productive is a great way to alleviate emotional stress. Get your mind doing something that is productive.” — Ziggy Marley
19. “If you treat every situation as a life and death matter, you’ll die a lot of times.” — Dean Smith
20. “Don't let your mind bully your body into believing it must carry the burden of its worries.” — Astrid Alauda
21. “When you find yourself stressed, ask yourself one question: Will this matter in 5 years from now? If yes, then do something about the situation. If no, then let it go.” — Catherine Pulsifer
22. “Stress is not what happens to us. It's our response to what happens. And response is something we can choose.” — Maureen Killoran
23. “Stress is an ignorant state. It believes that everything is an emergency.” — Natalie Goldberg
24. “Stress is like spice - in the right proportion it enhances the flavor of a dish. Too little produces a bland, dull meal; too much may choke you.” — Donald Tubesing
25. “Give your stress wings and let it fly away.” — Terri Guillemets
I suggest using these quotes as you practice daily check-ins. That means, slowing for a few minutes, taking some deep breaths and using these powerful quotes for stress as a little pick me up for getting refocused and aligned.
Remember, mind over matter! :-)
Managing stress and feeling happy does not come easy all the time. If you find yourself constantly saying “I want to be happy” but can’t seem to get out of a funk... start by taking our free happiness quiz right here. In just 30 seconds, you’ll discover what your #1 happiness hurdle is!
I would love to hear from you, so do let us know your favorite quotes from the list and how you’ve been applying them in your own life. Or if you have any others, please share them with the Mind Movies community below!
Natalie Ledwell is a best selling author, speaker and successful entrepreneur. She's passionate about helping others to achieve their greatest dreams and ambitions through her personal development programs and her online TV show, The Inspiration Show.