As human beings, we can experience hundreds of different emotions each day. And although our emotions aren’t always positive, it’s important to acknowledge and feel our varying emotions, thoughts, and feelings in order to process them in a healthy way. And specifically when dealing with negative emotions, it’s important to have some tools to help shift our mood into a more positive direction, so we don’t spiral into a negative state for a long period of time.
There are many tools that I turn to in order to keep my mind at an optimal state, but one of my favorite ways to feel an instant shift in mood, is to look to others for inspiration.
We’re all human and that’s why relating to others through their words of encouragement can provide a great sense of comfort. Hearing others go through similar experiences, helps us feel connected and less alone. According to keynote speaker and relationship coach, Susan Leahy, getting to our happy place isn’t about trying to solve our lower frequency problems, it’s about giving ourselves permission to elevate into a higher frequency.
So for those days when you're feeling low or if you happen to be struggling right now, understand that even through darkness, you can always find the light. Here are some of my favorite, powerful mental health quotes that provide just the right amount of reassurance that everything is going to be okay.
1. “If you are broken, you do not have to stay broken."
- Selena Gomez
2. “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves"
- Henry David Thoreau
3. “If you have been brutally broken but still have the courage to be gentle to other living beings, then you're a badass with a heart of an angel."
- Keanu Reeves
4. “If there is no struggle, there is no progress."
- Fredrick Douglass
5. “You are not your illness. You have an individual story to tell. You have a name, a history, a personality. Staying yourself is part of the battle."
- Julian Seifter
6. “Sometimes you don't realize your own strength until you come face to face with your greatest weakness."
- Susan Gale
7. “We acquire the strength we have overcome."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. “Life is very interesting. In the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths."
- Drew Barrymore
9. “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn't."
- John Green
10. “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship."
- Louisa May Alcott
11. “Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go."
- Hermann Hesse
12. “Mantra for anxiety: This is not you. This is something moving through you. It can leave out of the same door it came in."
- Cleo Wade
13. “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."
- Albert Einstein
14. “When I'm not feeling my best, I ask myself, 'what are you gonna do about it?' I use that negativity to fuel the transformation into a better me."
15. “Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light."
- Brené Brown
Be sure to save this list as a reference whenever you need that extra boost to keep you going when you're feeling down. Again, when it comes to mental health, it's okay to feel your feelings, but remember, we're all much more connected than we may think, so you're never alone.
And while you're here, I'd like to also share with you a comforting gift to keep your vibrations lifted. It's 100 affirmations you can use each and every day for your most prosperous life. Grab your free ebook filled with tons of affirmative statements you can use to attract more success, more abundance, and better days ahead.
Natalie Ledwell is a best selling author, speaker and successful entrepreneur. She's passionate about helping others to achieve their greatest dreams and ambitions through her personal development programs and her online TV show, The Inspiration Show.